Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Earnings Guidance Revisted

Earnings guidance is one of the more controversial management practices. It is something I feel strongly about. I even devoted a whole chapter to defending this practice in my 2008 book, "Even Buffett Isn't Perfect." Those who would like to see an end to guidance are basically arguing that investors are better off having less information. In a day and age when regulators are trying to increase transparency, this makes no sense.

It was wonderful to see the recent Wall Street Journal article written by Professor Baruch Lev of New York University defending guidance. It reminded me of the excellent interview I had with Professor Lev several years ago when he was a guest on the MoneyMasters video program I used to host at Forbes. Click here to watch Professor Lev's excellent defense of earnings guidance.