Friday, June 01, 2007

All News is Good News

The market is in one of its euphoric phases where all news is good news. Gasoline prices set all-time highs and stocks rally. Oil prices go higher and stocks rally. The housing market shows signs of falling apart and stocks rally. GDP growth all but disappears and stocks rally. The yield on the 10-year note closes in on 5% and stocks rally.

In fact, other than a fairly robust jobs market, there really isn't a lot of good news out there. Yet investors keep pushing stock prices higher. As I explain in the new issue of the Forbes Growth Investor, demand for shares is strong thanks to private equity firms, M&A activity, and share buybacks. And in my column in the June 18 issue of Forbes magazine, I explain why I'm bearish on the market. I also pan some stocks that I think could get hurt when consumer spending slows.