Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Giving Thanks to the Military

I'm spending the week in Carlisle, PA at a National Security Seminar at the U.S. Army War College. Civilian guests such as myself have been put into small seminar groups that consist primarily of military officers from all the various branches. The groups also include a small number of officers from select foreign nations. We've been debating all kinds of issues from the war in Iraq to the economy. The experience has been absolutely outstanding. I would say that the most surprising--and pleasant--thing I have discovered is the tremendous degree of independent thought and diversity of opinion that exists in the military. While I have always held in high esteem those who serve our country through military service, my respect for them has grown tremendously. It is extremely comforting to know that our military ranks are filled with so many intelligent individuals. Knowing how much these people sacrifice for our country, I can't help but feel a little ashamed that I have never served in the same way.